Thinking of a warm coastal breeze with waves crashing in as you enjoy a sunset view, or planning your winter trip to the Appalachian or Rocky Mountains brings about an automatic sense of relaxation as you begin planning your vacation. While heading out for a lengthy stay somewhere else can be fun, you want to make sure as you leave your home it is safe and well protected.
Here is a checklist you can follow to give yourself peace of mind while away:
- All windows and doors are locked
- If you have a monitored security system, make sure your contact numbers are up to date and notify them of being away
- If leaving during cold weather, make sure pipes are well insulated and exterior hose bibs are properly covered.
- Make sure garages are closed completely and locked
- Notify the post office to halt your mail delivery until you return
- Notify your newspaper delivery or arrange for someone to pick up your papers
- Set your thermostat to a reasonable temperature to avoid expensive utility bills while away
- Leave a key with a friend or family member in case of an emergency
- Notify your neighbors so they can watch for suspicious activity
- If you are leaving pets behind, ensure they have proper food and water, or in some cases proper caretakers to check in on them
- Make sure water faucets are off and toilets are not running
- Turn off lights you will not need while away.
With all of the high tech options available today you may also choose to install cameras, which can be easily accessed from your cell phone.
Vacation is a time to relax and enjoy family and friends. Whether you are out of the country on mission trips, racing down roller coasters at amusement parks or being adventurous in the great outdoors knowing your home is safe while you are away offers some comfort.
Another area you want to remember is making sure you have proper insurance, whether you are a homeowner or a renter, so in the event of an unwanted occurrence you and your home are protected. Adding a few extra steps to protect your home prior to heading out on your adventures is a great way to start off any vacation.
For more information about this topic and how it applies to your new custom home contact us at AmericasHomePlace.com